Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Advocatus diaboli - The devil's advocate




This post is a tribute to someone who left today to conquer the serene plains of a land entrenched with mystery. I wish her the very best in life.

The Godfather, by Mario Puzo, highlights the role of a Godfather, the protagonist (hero) and how Micheal Corleone rises up the ranks. One character however continues to escape all the attention. Caporegime Clemenzza gained a cult status, Enforcer Luca Brassi would be well known for memorizing the script before meeting Vito Corleone, but Tom Hagen - played by the impeccable Robert Duvall... yes the role of Consigliere - advisor.
The beauty of every Hero in folklore and history is that they all came with a consigliere. The great King Arthur, with the strength of Excalibur, still depended on Merlin for guidance. If you did read about it, Merlin was less a wizard and more a clairvoyant. He saw how things would pan out and advised King Arthur to form the Knights of the round table, Guinevere later falls in love with Lancelot and even this was foreseen by Merlin. but Merlin himself remains an enigma to the reader. My advisor on this blog- my excalibur is an enigma herself. Little did I know about her as she appeared to hand me the Excalibur by appearing as the Lady of the lake.

I shall quote her contributions in a famous line by Paul Mccartney

'' And in my hour of darkness, She is standing right next to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be''

The angst inside of me sometimes hands me the golden fleece and the newly instilled bravery makes me run amok. But she whispers into my ears when the steam seems to run out of it, and it tenderly lays me down in bed again, pondering my every move.
Power is something that drives you. and the beauty of it is that no man can withstand the temptation of power. Aragorn, the shabby greasy dude who's heir to Isildur's throne, needed the guidance of Gandalf the Grey to finally seize control of his destiny. Batman, returns home to his batcave to seek the counsel of Michael Caine (Alfred). Freakazoid has Ingmar. Sultan Muzaffar Shah had Tun Perak. Macbeth had Lady Macbeth.

Sometimes it doesnt matter who the consigliere is, but there is always one. V had Evey Hammond, who in comparison to him had nothing to live for. Chandragupta Maurya, advises his son Asoka to forgo his greed and attain salvation.

the count has Igor.
I have my very own advisor. Lets call her the queen of the Nile:) mainly for her extravagant use of the eyeliner:)

She ensures that the path I take is one that I am certain of, not tell me which path to take. It is just a whisper, but with such specific use of words, even one whimper or grunt has a meaning. And when you are alone in a dark silent room, the most silent of sounds can point you in the right direction. She's my advocate, as she ensures that my rage does not consume me. If i were an illusionist, she would be the one who'd be genuinely concerned about my act failing.

She is my consigliere. and i call upon everyone to not be fooled by the temptations of power. History has thought us that every hero needs a consigliere, an accomplice to cushion the blows he receives. I'm glad I found mine:)

They might not always be right, as in Lady Macbeth, but i'll take my chances. 2 heads are better than one:)
also enjoy this metaphorical video about how our decisions can be influenced so easily


No comments: